Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
CactusCat589 Offline
Kingfisher

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
I've read the majority of this thread, and the posts by Irishman, Kick, and scotian, and the other guys who've pursued these opportunities have been incredibly informative and inspiring.

I was wondering if I could ask for opinions regarding my situation. I'm 20 years-old and an undergrad studying electrical engineering (Bachelor's) in the U.S. at a top 20 engineering university, currently going to be a junior in the fall. I've interned over the summers at Intel Corporation for three years, and have a fairly certain shot at full employment there once I've graduated with an entry level salary of around $60k.

Intel's a great company, but I know that Highly Compensated employees here hit a ceiling at around $100k (and this is after they've received their Master's). It helps its employees get their MBAs, Master's degrees after they've worked for several years and if managers approve, so the salary potential is $150,000. It's got a great sabbatical program (two months' worth of paid vacation for every seven years).

The possibilities of work at the oil sands has been dogging my thoughts for weeks now, yet I'm heavily invested in completing my degree. I'm halfway there, my family's invested a lot of our finances into getting me to this point. I've invested so much myself in studying and mastering what I've learned.

Do you know of opportunities in electrical engineering? Whether you need prior experience or other qualifications and what areas? Does the potential in rising through the ranks as an engineer compare favorably to the track of being a tradesman?
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 02:18 PM by CactusCat589.)
08-05-2013 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - CactusCat589 - 08-05-2013 02:16 PM