Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
PALEO DUDE Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(08-08-2013 06:21 PM)RossTan Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 12:56 PM)PALEO DUDE Wrote:  I'm interested in being a haul truck driver either in BC, Fort Mcmurray or anywhere else for mining. I"m from Vancouver and I was wondering whether any company would be willing to offer me an internship or like an unpaid volunteer position to learn the skills on the job. I'm basically willing to do whatever it takes to be a dump truck driver in the mining industry. What's the best way of getting a gig?

http://www.iheschool.com/

When it comes to heavy equipment, as long as the schools exist, companies rarely if ever let you play on their equipment without prior training. Labor at a site/company you want to get with, raise the cash, go to school, or network (be a good worker) in the company and see if they will pay for you to go to school to be a heavy equipment operator. May have to sign a year work agreement upon completion of schooling. Some companies have stipulations. They pay for your school, you work with them for a year, if you leave before that, you owe them money for the schooling.

Appreciate the info RossTan, I figured they wouldn't just allow someone with no previous training fuck around with the heavy equipment on the job, I'm just a little too used to the third world customs as I'm currently living in Peru at the moment. I'm gonna apply at camps to get my foot in the door than, I'l see if I can work for free as a cleaner as an incentive to appeal to employers. Anybody know which camp companies offer the best food?
08-08-2013 10:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - PALEO DUDE - 08-08-2013 10:33 PM