Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(08-09-2013 02:09 AM)RussianSoul Wrote:  BUT 100 hour work weeks? Can some of the guys here comment on this? Is it something you just get used to? Health effects? I cant imagine its possible to live an optimal healthy lifestyle in this line of work.

Lets compare two typical months -past and present:

Ill take my old Irish self first:
Each week I worked about 50 hours. I made about 500 euro.
I went surfing most evenings or did something social: 30 Hours per week.
Then the rest of the time was filled with misc tasks/sleeping.

So each month (4 weeks) I worked 200 Hours, made 2000 euro and did fun stuff for about 100-120 hours. My expenses were 1000 euro so I saved a 1000 every month.

Now take this month in the Oil Sands:

I work an average of 20 days a month on the rig each month:
I am paid by the day not by the hour and my work pace is pretty easy. Still technically its 12 hours a day so: 240 Hours a month.
Then for the other week I work construction so another 56 Hours.

My social life is down to about 30-50 hours a month but I will get to take 2 months off to go surfing in the spring (while still on basic living salary).
I make around 13,750 a month at the moment. I can save around 8-10k of that.

So its possible to save 100k every year, take 2 months off while still getting 3,000 a month and still be moderately social in the meantime.

I still eat well (probably better), exercise daily, read a lot and once I am fully trained I have a job that gives me a lot of international opinions with even greater pay. My sex life is good when I am back in town and I have made some great friends although I don't see some of them as much as I used to (I have worked pretty hard the last 3 months while drilling was slow).

If you take the year as a whole I get to make a lot more, save a lot more, travel more and still maintain a healthy social and sex life. Its just how I do things is rearranged much diferently.

The directional guy I am working with right now just took the last 6 months off (does this every year). He is driving a brand new Range Rover, has a Corvette at home and still clears a 100k a year easy. He just partied all summer long. He is 37 but looks around 25.

Now its not all easy sailing and I have burnt out once already but in general I feel very healthy and I'm in great form most days. All the RVF guys I know here are happy, making lots of money and have great social lives. In fact I am probably the most boring of the crew right now Banana Some of the other guys are still saving quite a lot but are getting to party a lot more. I don't judge that one bit and I love catching up with them when I can to hear the stories. I partied plenty hard the last few years so I am trying something different for a while.

A lot of the guys on here who are hesitant to come out seem to picture the worst case scenario. It honesty isn't even that bad. A 100 hour week is not going to kill you and it goes by fast. A -30 snowstorm is actually kind of fun. Working with rednecks and their raised monster trucks is actually a great laugh. Girls can be found and money can be made and saved. Its a lot more exciting then working in some cubical and putting up with the PC brigade. I cant ever picture myself going back to a 9-5. I love it out here!
08-09-2013 03:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 9 users Like Atlantic's post:
BusDev, Vacancier Permanent, Lux Interior, scotian, pitt, RossTan, Albertron, WesternCancer, Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 08-09-2013 03:58 AM