Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
RossTan Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(08-09-2013 02:09 AM)RussianSoul Wrote:  Just wanted to say, I have been following this thread for a while. Big thanks to all the guys in Alberta(scotian, irishman,etc..) for providing all this boots-on-the-ground intel. I am really eager to jump on this opportunity and fly out there. Its not something I would want to do long term but I figure 2-3 years could give me a nice little cushion to pursue some modest business ideas of mine. I have to say, there is only one thing that scares me. I don't mind getting my hands dirty. I am as strong as an ox. I like the cold. And I think I could bear no female company for a few weeks. BUT 100 hour work weeks? That sounds crazy. I worked 60-70 hours as a waiter in college and that was brutal. Can some of the guys here comment on this? Is it something you just get used to? Health effects? I cant imagine its possible to live an optimal healthy lifestyle in this line of work. And long term sleep deprivation wrecks havoc on the body, plenty of studies to back that. This is my one reservation as I consider my health to be a priceless asset.

If you eat right your body actually requires less sleep. The less toxins it has to flush out the less sleep is required. Hence, eat well, when you are on the road a lot. I worked with two awesome guys while moving, and they hit the gym right after a 12 hour day. They ate healthy lunches and dinners. If I'd met them my first day, I'd still be working with the moving company today, that's how inspiring they were. Smile

As for long term sleep deprivation, don't mistake working in the oil industry for Guantanamo Bay. Wink
08-09-2013 06:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - RossTan - 08-09-2013 06:49 PM