Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(08-10-2013 11:29 PM)Thehustler Wrote:  Staying on the topic of drugs, on my last shutdown near Edmonton I was working with a guy in a HUGE boiler, the atmosphere wasn't perfect and we were having gas tests every 3 hours and he started smoking inside the damn thing (keep in mind we were inside the plant), I told him to cut it off and he seemed pretty pissed about it.

After a few minutes I see the main supervisor climbing up the ladder to come inside the boiler and guess what with a damn cig in his mouth. At that time the guy looked at me and said welcome to redneck Canada buddy, hope you enjoy your stay.

Wtf

I had to laugh when I read this because for the past two months, I've been working in a huge boiler and smoking like a chimney with all of the boilermakers. Officially we're not allowed to but no one gives a shit because there's not too much that a lit cigarette can do that a bunch of guys welding can't do (smoke, flame, sparks, etc).

Its a fine line guys, you want to be working in a safe environment but you never want to be labelled a rat on a job site, especially if you rat on someone and they end up getting fired, that could hurt your career prospects.

Kick is right, issues tend to be resolved in person as they happen between men, the way it should be. He works for a company that I used to work for and I was once busted for speeding in a company vehicle by some rat who called the office and reported my unit number, I got back to the office and the president of the company told me off pretty good and ended the conversation by saying "if you do it again, I'll rip your fucking head off and shit down your neck!". That was the last time I was caught speeding in a company truck.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
08-11-2013 11:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 08-11-2013 11:53 AM