Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
PanzerTape Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Thanks to everybody for the amazing intel on this.

I'm a 23 y.o. guy who grew up in Quebec, and i've had the oil patch on my mind for a few months now. Been travelling for 4 months in Eastern/Central Europe, and I've no cash left; the job situation in QC is horrible & wages low, so I'm giving this a shot.
I actually have cousins who live in Alberta, one in Edmonton, so that could come in handy at the beginning.

From what I understand what I'm looking for is either "Roustabout" or "Floorhand" position. Grunt work. Sounds good, up for it.

But before I make a big move, I'd like to defer to the more knowledgeable experts here to see if I'm making sense in this.
Again, I'm not expecting anyone to do the work for me, I'll report back as things happen, as that's what inspired me in the first place!

I'm actually certified as a technician in Quebec; but my training is in microelectronics (micro controllers, anything programming i can do it, making electronic circuits etc) but nothing in the traditional sense of "electrician", i.e. I can't install building wiring or any high voltage. So i'm not sure if that's useful.

Then after that, computer science degree, _not yet completed_ about one year left. My experiences with this have not been so good, they tend to want to hire you as an intern for a meagre pay of 12/hr.. that was in QC.. and i'm just looking for temp work for half a year or something.

So yeah, right now making a spreadsheet to track my progress at applying. I can't go up in person just yet, still living in Germany
till end September. But calls with Skype are an option. Will report back.
08-13-2013 03:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - PanzerTape - 08-13-2013 03:02 AM