Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
RossTan Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(08-14-2013 12:28 AM)Albertron Wrote:  [...]

I don't think it's fair for me to come to any assumptions without at least knowing where this dogmatic attitude to safety comes from.

Safety is safety. Majority of work place deaths are young workers. 16-24. Not the old guys 30 and above. 'Cause majority of the time, the young ones don't stand up for themselves when it comes to health and safety violations.

When I was a supervisor my concern was my crew. Anyone on that crew who jeopardized everyone else was let go, simple as that. Rules were laid out from the start. They had a copy, they signed a copy in agreement to adhere to the rules and policies.

Arbitrarily firing someone would entail random acts of employment termination. That was not my approach. Because I had to answer to the person who hired me and to my crew. Lose the respect of your crew, you don't have one. They're efforts guaranteed me a position as a supervisor, hence, making sure they and their jobs and relations with the clients was okay guaranteed my continued employment as their supervisor. They trusted me to look out for them, and I looked out for them to the letter.

When you get in a position of leadership and trust, you will understand.
08-22-2013 08:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - RossTan - 08-22-2013 08:18 PM