Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
shanehsmp Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-05-2013 12:05 AM)RossTan Wrote:  Pipefitters make $40-$60 an hour in fab shops. Keep all options open. Floorhands make $30 an hour plus $180 a day hazard pay depending on the rig mud they use when drilling and the rig they are working on. Class 1 truck drivers pull in $1000 a day parking and transporting trailers in Ft. Mac. There's more than one way to earn a dollar. If your goal is cash, keep all options open. Even Irishman started as a leasehand before getting into MWD. Get on, perform, and take it from there.

P.S. The harder you work for money, the more the government takes from you in taxes. Have an investment strategy. Real estate, small business.

Another thing, if you're planning on getting married...why in the world are you seeking work that will keep you away from home for extended periods of time? That's rather counter intuitive. I meet engineers, project managers who picked work that allowed them to be home more often than not. Money is easy to make. The key is deciding what type of lifestyle you're aiming for?

This is simply a means to an end. I understand what you are saying, but working for gross 70K a year doesn't hatch it anymore. Money is plentiful in engineering. But in my line of Engineering (HVAC) which I've done for 6 years now, I've reached my ceiling and the ceiling gets lower and lower each year. Unfortunately, it's not very easy to move laterally in engineering if you don't have base experience in that specific faction.

Like I mentioned previously, I want to make cash, a good deal of it, in a short term. Pay off my moms mortgage and invest in something for my lady and I. She understands what it's all about (it was her suggestion to actually do this) and if it doesn't work in sands for me, I'll return to the 9 to 5 out in Edmonton. I have have several buddies making the move this fall so it makes it even easier for me to do.
09-05-2013 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - shanehsmp - 09-05-2013 08:58 AM