Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
RossTan Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-05-2013 08:58 AM)shanehsmp Wrote:  This is simply a means to an end. I understand what you are saying, but working for gross 70K a year doesn't hatch it anymore. Money is plentiful in engineering. But in my line of Engineering (HVAC) which I've done for 6 years now, I've reached my ceiling and the ceiling gets lower and lower each year. Unfortunately, it's not very easy to move laterally in engineering if you don't have base experience in that specific faction.

Like I mentioned previously, I want to make cash, a good deal of it, in a short term. Pay off my moms mortgage and invest in something for my lady and I. She understands what it's all about (it was her suggestion to actually do this) and if it doesn't work in sands for me, I'll return to the 9 to 5 out in Edmonton. I have have several buddies making the move this fall so it makes it even easier for me to do.

Well the more you make in income the more gets taxed, simple as that. And if you make 70K and she makes more than you...combined income counts for something, man. If you don't know what to do with 70K...dude, 120K, 250K isn't going to matter either. It's called the Parkinson's Effect.

Why in the world are you paying your mother's mortgage? She had a headstart in life and YOU, the child, are paying HER mortgage? Does that make any sense to you? The financial load you take is your choice for sure, my opinion, it's not a smart move to be paying your parent's mortgage nor is it a smart move to be the higher income earner in a marriage. As a man, you will seriously get f*cked when she decides she wants something new. Trust, if you take a field job and you're gone 21 days of the month, and she's making money and is as hot as you say...she will find something new.

As for reaching your cap rate in your field as an engineer...this is usually when it's time to work as a consultant or start your own firm.

I had dinner last year with a group of engineers who capped out, you know what they did? Started their own firm, got their first round of million dollar investments. They loved what they did and kept on doing it.

Flexpipe. Started by 6 engineers. I worked there for a month and saw off the last of the six engineers who started the whole operation.

Keep on chasing employment income or start building your own brand. No job will pay you what you're worth. They'll pay you enough to keep you from quitting.

You plan on taking courses...so that equates you'll be starting from the bottom. Entry level. Be physically ready for what comes at you at the worksite. You're leaving HVAC Engineering for industrial work. Get ready to use your body.

P.S., welders make $75-100 an hour in Ft. Mac.

Heavy equipment operators make $250 000 a year driving those big trucks for Suncor and Syncrude. Course at Keyano College. 6 weeks I think.
09-05-2013 09:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like RossTan's post:
MunichSux, Vacancier Permanent, Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - RossTan - 09-05-2013 09:24 PM