Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Vacancier Permanent Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
I'd like to chip in regarding supporting family/parents.

RossTan,
What you are saying about not supporting family members that might make sense from a white/western mentality. However, in some cultures, family ties are very strong if not and it is the responsibility of the kids, specially the elder son to support the parents. While you may have a hard time understanding that as you may not be from such a culture, that's understandable. However, some other people who are from different cultural background, it's quite normal if not the norm. Yeah I realize it may not make much sense from a western or white mentality, but that's how things are.

Regarding the girlfriend issue, again, it depends on the cultural background of the girl and her up bringing. If he is white/western or raised in a western environment, then what you say may apply and there would be ground to be geniunely concerned about her slutting it up behind your back specially if you are away for work for extended periods of time. However, if the girl is from a conservative background or a recent implant from a traditional background where she has had a solid upbringing in a religious environment then the chances of her slutting it up behind your back are infinitely less. Again, it's all matter of perspective.

Of course I could be totally wrong and shane could be from a white/western background. But just wanted to provide a different cultural perspective that many specially white guys are not too familiar with.

All the best shane and let us know how it goes in your move to AB. All the best to all the guys who have made the move or are about to make this life changing move. I will be among you guys soon too. Smile
09-07-2013 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 09-07-2013 12:57 PM