Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Damedius Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-09-2013 03:31 PM)shanehsmp Wrote:  Gents,

I'm struggling with the decision to leave Mid October opposed to at the end of November when my lease is up. Worried that if I leave sooner than later, I would run the risk of not finding a job in the sands for some time, as some have stated in this post. I know I could find something paying far less for the time being, but that seems to be counter-intuitive for me since I am making decent coin in an office setting currently.
Everyone says hiring is ramping up, but is there actual work happening right now (or in early November)? Keeping in mind that I am green...

Thanks

Work is starting to pick up. It picks up more and more, the colder it gets. This is because there are places where you have little to no access when the ground isn't frozen.

For instance right now Fort McMurray isn't in full swing yet. It won't be until the ground freezes over.

The one problem I see coming at the end of November is you only have 2 or 3 weeks before things shut back down. Which is fine if you want a month to acclimate first. However if you come at the end of November you might find it hard to find something until January, give or take a week. Things usually slow down for a week or two around the holidays.

You can use that time to take safety courses and get to know the area as well.
09-09-2013 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Damedius - 09-09-2013 04:06 PM