Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
shanehsmp Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-09-2013 07:09 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  Shane,
In what field are trying to get in? Do you have a relevant skill/trade? Are you going to take a pre-employment course to improve your chances of getting something decent without having to break your back in a labour/construction job or as a lease hand on a rig? How fit and physically strong are you? These are major factors to take into consideration much more than the end of a lease.

Best of luck.

Ideally MWD as a trainee and progress from there. Or do as Irishman did and get a direct MWD position, I'm a quick learner. As for skill/trades I have zero...I'm a backyard mechanic, but I have no real qualifications. I only have my engineering degree and 7 years of experience.
I won't have the money or time (since they are the same thing to me right now) to taking a course off the bat won't happen, I'm prepared to do a lease hand job for a week, but I rather start on a service rig based on the accounts from guys on this forum.... I'm physically fit, ex football player, not worried about the physicality, but you're right, I don't want to do that for an extended period of time.

I'd be interested in pipe fitting or heavy machinery mechanic if these trade classes were shorter in duration...

I guess you can call me an eager beaver...
09-09-2013 08:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - shanehsmp - 09-09-2013 08:47 PM