Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Vacancier Permanent Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Capitao,
To answer your questions:

I'd say fly to Edmonton as Edmonton is more blue collar/trades while Calgary is more white collar and head offices of the companies in Alberta as a general rule.

Forget hotels unless you want to spend a lot of money. For starter, I'd recommend you stay initially at Hi Hostel a block from Whyte Ave, which is the happening part of Edmonton. However, keep in mind you can only stay at Hi-Hostel for a maximum of up to 2 weeks before they kick you out. So during that time, use your time to get your tickets done and to find yourself a place to stay. For options regarding places to stay, you can rent a room in a house for 5-600$/month or if you can find 1 or 2 other guys you get along with and trust, to get an apart together. Might be cheaper and a better deal.

Once you're there and you have your basic tickets (H2S Alive, First Aid, CSTS), then it's a matter of personally going to the shops and persisting till you get hired.

Regarding resumes, I'd recommend you keep it to as simple as possible as remember, this is blue collar territory, so companies/hiring personnel don't need nor want to see all the details of your job as they do in Ontario. So just put the name of the places you worked, the time frame and your title. Nothing more. Keep it simple and make it all in one single page.

Yeah spring (March-April) and Fall (Aug-Sept-Oct) is the hiring season for new guys. But if you are persistent, you can find jobs throughout the year save maybe the end of Dec as pretty much everything shuts down for the holidays season.

All in all, that's a bold and great move. I'm happy for you and I'm sure you'll be very glad you did it. Any other questions, post them in here and either myself or others on the ground will be more than happy to help.

All the best my friend!
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013 12:43 AM by Vacancier Permanent.)
09-14-2013 12:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vacancier Permanent's post:
a.canuck

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 09-14-2013 12:40 AM