Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-15-2013 10:08 PM)salmonfella Wrote:  Scotian or any of the other guys have ye done much or any work in the offshore oil game off St johns?? I am thinking strongly about it in the future I am in Canada have all my courses done and a job offer of 14/7 in Christina lake camp base as an electrician.. My plan would be to do this for a while and try to find out more about the offshore work.. As been said many times before I made the move solo from Ireland and it seems to all be working out.. Just taught I would update and let all ye guys who have helped me out so much of my progress as I start my oil patch and hopefully down the line my offshore career. Thanks:-)

No but I have a few friends who work offshore NS and NFLD and they do well in their trades, union scaffolders, most of the work for my trade is non-union and I refuse to work non-union simply because they pay less. Most offshore hitches are three weeks on, three off, I could easily get a similar rotation in Fort Mac (I recently turned down that exact rotation at Surmont 2) and I'd rather live in a condo in Fort Mac and have a personal work truck than be on an isolated rig in the middle of the north Atlantic. Also, I don't mind Fort Mac so much, so long as I know I'm going to get out of there after a couple of months, I have friends and family there and in my time off I go hunting and fishing , hang out and drink with buddies and go throw toonies at strippers at Show Girls, you can't do that offshore, no booze allowed!

(09-16-2013 05:14 AM)CallSignBigRed Wrote:  Is there positions that hire for armed guards? People with military and private military contracting experience? Right now im in an ok spot make 200 a day to shoot penflares at kids haha. basicly chill for 8 hours.

Not that I know of, there's aren't too many security issues in the oil sands other than guys smuggling booze and drugs into camps and the drama that involves. I suppose they have to look out for Green Peace and other eco-terrorist organizations who like to sneak on site and hang banners as publicity stunts, actually I wouldn't mind having armed guard on site to shoot at those dickheads!

Seriously though, most security guards in Fort Mac are fresh off the boat immigrants, mostly from Africa, its the lowest paid job on site.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
09-16-2013 05:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 09-16-2013 05:34 AM