Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-17-2013 09:25 PM)MiddleEastern Wrote:  
(09-17-2013 01:57 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  Looking at places to stay in Edmonton, a single room in a house/condo starts at 600+ while 2 bedroom aparts are listed for around 1k to 1.1/1.2k and nice 2 bedroom condos-aparts places go for around 1.5k per month. 3 bedroom condos-houses some even fully furnished are going in the 1.5 to 1.8k. Between 3 guys, thats 5-600 a month!!!

Here's an idea that's been running in my head for a week or so now:
Instead of guys from here staying at a random houses individually, why don't we pair up, this way, we could stay with like minded guys, who are in the oil sands for lifestyle reasons, that is make money, build a capital for business/travel/lifestyle reasons while also macking girls not only locally but internationally? Would anyone be interested in such a thing, where 1-2 or 3 guys would join forces and stay together in a house/2-3 bedroom house/condo while sharing the costs? this would be a great way to keep each other going, motivated but also to be with like minded guys and not some random redneck coucou. Not to mention it would cost about the same, if not less than each renting a room in a house individually. I only see positives in this.

Thoughts guys? Interested to gauge the interest of guys already in Etown, but also of new guys about to make the move shortly.

I am down dude, your idea sounds great. Couple factors you have to consider though: Most landlords require one year or six month leases, proof of employment, and previous residential references. Will we be able to commit to a long lease knowing that previously you came to Edmonton and left? I have employment now but what about other tenants? Also have you thought about furniture?

When I first moved to Etown in 06', when the vacancy was near 0% I slept on my bros's chesterfield until he got evicted cuz his rent went up in smoke, a couple months later I then had to move into an apartment with a bunch of dudes from back home. There were 7 of us living in a 3 bedroom apartment near South Gate Mall, I was lucky to sleep on the inflatable mattress when my buddy went outta town, I usually slept on the floor. This was one of the contributing factors to me moving the fuck back to Halifax after 6 months but the point of this post is that you guys have to hustle harder, don't worry so much about potential road blocks like leases and furniture.

Your first few months out west will probably suck!

I'm gonna write a big post here soon enough.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
09-17-2013 09:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
Atlantic, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 09-17-2013 09:40 PM