Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
MicTyson Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-21-2013 11:34 AM)Kdog Wrote:  Ive been shipped to the states for 3-4 weeks to work. Not so bad is its not a camp its in a new hotel with everything you need and we get a nice rental vehicle. The daily food allowance is good to as ill never spend $75 in a day on food, not to mention the daily free breakfast at the hotel which saves even more cash. I will be back in Edmonton (I think) October 7 so hope we can have a meet up guys. But I can't say for sure because if its one thing I've learning working in the oil biz for 6 weeks is that plans ALWAYS change and there are a lot of delays. One day I was scheduled to be going to B.C. for work then 3 hours later it was Manitoba then by the end of the day I had a flight booked to the US. Never make solid plans outside of work and always be available and your employer will love you.

I love that kind of schedule but how much advanced notice do you get on the regular? Is the example you gave(B.C. Manitoba, U.S) normal or do they give you a few days prep time to get your affairs in order? Also are you able to bypass slow periods by going to different provinces or the U.S if your employer has operations there? One last question that may be stupid, Is your pay rate the same outside of the oil sands?
09-21-2013 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - MicTyson - 09-21-2013 06:27 PM