Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Seadog Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-26-2013 09:14 AM)pitt Wrote:  A bit off topic here:

To all you guys staying long periods away from home, do you see yourselves in a serious relationship? How would you have a serious relationship when you spend a lot of time away from home? Do you see yourself trusting a woman even though you work long periods away from home?

Honestly this is *the* downside to this lifestyle. Not just with women either. Any sort of relationship with friends, outside business, sports, hobbies, ect, all of that takes a back seat to your job. I can't count the number of weddings, birthday parties, big events I've missed.

Serious relationships are damn near impossible, in my job where there are some female engineers, a lot of people end up pairing up inside the company. But also due to the nature of the job these invariably end up being long distance relationships. I've pursued more than one taken girl inside the company where the bf was half a world away (great idea I know).

A lot of people I've met in this line of work/company operate on the premise that "this isn't their real life, so nothing you do counts". Which I think is true. Everyone is only here for a short time, has grand plans of going back to school, early retirement, working 5 months of the year so they can fuck off for 7 etc. If you're not a retard with money you can quickly get to the point where you don't need the job, you work only because it's an efficient way to make money, but the consequences of burning every bridge, and burning it quite spectacularly are pretty minor.

I've met people suspended without pay for catastrophic hundred thousand dollar fuckups, but then called back after two days, and being offered double pay, because they need ppl. that badly.
09-26-2013 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Seadog's post:
Vacancier Permanent, scotian

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Seadog - 09-26-2013 08:37 PM