Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-29-2013 11:21 PM)NorthernPete Wrote:  Hey fellow Roosh Forum Members.

I'd like to introduce myself - My name is Pete and I am an Edmonton Native. I am currently working in the Oil sands of Fort Mcmurray and am in Edmonton on short term leave (open to local meetups). I've been working in the industry up north (Arctic as well as Civil SAGD) for about 3 years and am well acclimatized to Edmonton as a market as well.

I'm a civil Engineer by trade - studied here in Edmonton and am looking forward to contributing to this thread as well as others in the progression of this forum's mandates. Though I'm not looking particularly for a mandate myself Smile, I'm open like I said to local meetups in and around Edmonton and look forward to connecting with some of you personally in the area - PM me and we can go from there.

Regards,
Pete

Welcome to the thread Pete, glad to have an engineer on here to contribute a perspective from "the other side", we had a guy on here called Ecksie who is an engineer but I don't know what happened to him. I'll be in Edmonton on the 12th of October so if you want to meet up for a drink, I"m down.

(10-01-2013 09:38 AM)Temm Wrote:  This thread is pure GOLD. Thanks to Scotian and all the other contributers--this is the most information I have seen on the web about heading to Alberta for work.

I'm an American citizen/Canadian permanent resident (married a fine Canadian lass ha ha). I've been in Saskatchewan for almost 11 years and feel it's time for a change--this place is so lame. I'm heading to Edmonton on the 20th if anyone wants to meet up. I have a few tickets already (H2S and First Aid) so once I get there, I want to hit up the union halls, the industrial parks, and maybe Red Deer.

I'd like to get something with a rotation (21/7, 14/7, 20/10), but don't want to be picky. I'll take what I can get. A trades helper would be ideal.

I can't say I blame you for wanting to get out of Saskghanistan, how did you survive 11 years there? I recently finished up a three month stint there in Estevan, which I thought was the most boring place on Earth but now I have to go to an even bigger dump called Coronach (population 300) later this month. Thank God its only for three weeks, hopefully it'll be my last job of the year then I'm getting the hell out.

Sounds like you have the right attitude, you're right to not be too picky but I can tell you right now that the fact that you have a USA passport and permanent residency will make you VERY attractive to companies that have operations in both countries, which is pretty much all large contractors. There's another RVF member who has dual citizenship who I've corresponded with via PM and on the phone, he got a great job with an oil field services company and is doing very well with his new career.

(10-01-2013 03:17 PM)MicTyson Wrote:  So the place I'm supposed to be just pushing a broom at came out of left field and started to train me as a machinist. Can that type of training do much in the oil sands? Been running the lathe like a boss for a few days but I've been asking them to train me in welding instead. Both seem pretty good so far but which has more opportunity in Alberta?

That's how the oil patch works man, you get hired on to dig ditches or shovel shit then the company realizes that you have half a brain and aren't strung out on drugs and next thing you know they're training you in a trade that'll make you huge money in no time. Machinist is a legit gig, there's a lot of work for it in shops around Edmonton, so it could be ideal if you're looking to have a "normal" life. There's not as much field work or up north rotations as in a trade such as welding, but it exists, actually my company has a mechanical division and the guys working for them make great money working all over Western Canada, PM if you want more info.

Welding gets a pretty bad rep, there's definitely big money in it, especially if you run your own truck and self-contract, those guys make $100+/hour, but as has been pointed out a million times on here, its hard on the health. However, like any trade, just because you become a welder, doesn't mean that you'll be burning rod for 40 years. It takes roughly 3-5 years to become a welder, at that point you can decide if you want to continue welding (and making huge money) or you can say fuck it and go into Quality Assurance/Quality control, or you can become a welding foreman, welding supervisor, welding engineer, safety officer or if you want an office job, you could work for a welding company or something like that doing sales or site audits, etc.

Here's an example: I just went to the website of a huge international welding manufacturer called Miller, I see their gear on job sites every day. So I took a look at their job openings, most are in the USA but low and behold, I found one is Canada (BC) for an Industrial District Manager, here's the details:

Basic Description:

ITW Welding North America, a worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of Miller welding equipment and Hobart filler metals, believes that the most valuable asset within the organization is the strength of its employees. Currently, we are searching for a dynamic self-starter to perform the role of District Manager for the greater Vancouver, British Columbia territory.

Our ideal candidate is technically oriented and has an extraordinary commitment to customer service. This applicant must enjoy the challenge and reward of securing new customers, managing a current customer portfolio, and working with an internal team to implement the best welding solution for the customer. This candidate’s peers would describe the individual as persistent, driven, highly organized, having excellent communication skills, the ability to manage multiple time constraints, and remain calm and resilient under pressure.

Key Job Objectives:

To promote, sell, and support the ITW Welding brands including Miller, Hobart, Bernard, Tregaskiss, Smith, and Weldcraft to the end-user market and welding distribution channel.
Grow sales through solution selling, product demonstration, and product training.

Key Job Requirements:

Travel throughout the assigned territory calling on existing and prospective customers promoting all ITW Welding brands
Capable of traveling 50% of the time
Set objectives for account coverage and to reach specific business development objectives through regular call coverage and account plan execution
Develop/practice a process-oriented sales strategy
Identify relationship-building and sales opportunities
Practice consultative selling
Provide quotations; develop and present cost scenario justifications
Maintain up-to-date relevant technical knowledge
Support Marketing in the execution of programs; promote ITW Welding brands at tradeshows and conferences as required
Works with inside and outside sales representatives to keep them informed of new product developments and coordinate training as required
Implement an account maintenance plan
Represent the company with integrity
Other duties may reasonably be assigned from time to time

Administrative Requirements:

Build customer profiles
Enter and maintain current and accurate customer information in CRM database; report on important customer related issues and sales leads
Maintain a target account list
Develop a monthly schedule
Manage time spent on a call (80/20)
Submit weekly business activity reports, gains/loss, market development (SIC codes)
Submit complete and organized expense reports in a timely manner

Position Requirements
Minimum Requirements:

College graduate in a welding technology program or a minimum of five years related welding production experience and/or training; OR equivalent combination of education
and experience
Capable of traveling 50% of the time, and have a valid driver’s license
Must be fluent in English. Required to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers,
and the general public.
To perform this job successfully, an individual will have a comprehensive knowledge of spreadsheet, word processing, internet, and cost analysis tools software
Planning, organization and leadership skills, interpersonal and communication skills, knowledge and familiarization of product line/application processes

Values

Customer service oriented
Self-motivated
Honesty
Integrity

You see that guys, a nice sales job and all that you need is five years of welding experience, so go work your ass off in some industrial shit hole like I'm doing, save a bunch of cash then take one of these cushy office jobs, if that's what you want. What they don't mention in this add is that whoever does this job probably gets:

-A nice, late model company truck with gas card that can be used on personal time.
-Meal allowances on the road
-expense account for wining and dining clients
-Other perks such as profit sharing, etc.

Don't pass up an opportunity to get into the oil industry or into trade just because you don't want to be in that role for the rest of your life, You don't have to be! Also, don't limit your self to one trade or one line of work, just the other day I worked with an older fella who was a dual ticketed journeyman in pipe fitting/welding, he was on the tools for 20 years then he got into QA/QC and has been at it since and has a ton of experience, certifications and tickets. The guy is so busy that he's turning down job offers every other day and he regularly charges $100-120/hour.

See what I'm saying here guys?

Just because you get a job shoveling shit, doesn't mean you'll be shoveling shit next week.

Just because you become a scaffolder, doesn't mean you'll be banging tubes for the next 50 years.

Just because you get an entry level safety job, doesn't mean that you're actually a homosexual, just kidding, of course it does!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
10-01-2013 09:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Zeus, renotime, MicTyson, Atlantic, DjembaDjemba, a.canuck

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-01-2013 09:48 PM