Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
buko Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hey,
I'm back from the Job Fair. I bused all the way from Calgary to Grande Prairie, it's well over 10 hours. I arrived at 7am in the morning, then waited for one hour in the bus station until the first offices opened.

I hitchhiked to an Industrial Park north of Grande Prairie and got my first Job offer over there for Well Testing, 200$ + 50$ sub / day with 21/7 rotation. The manager already made an appointment for my drug and physical test at 10am lol, but i refused took his card and will call him back the next days. It's required to live in Grande Prairie for this position.

In this Industrial Park many roads weren't paved and my shoes and pants were covered in mud. I went to McDo cleaned it, had breakfast and went to another Industrial Park in Grande Prairie. Dropped many resumes and got another offer as an Inspection Traine. Small company and very friendly people, they offered me 20$ at the beginning, same rate for shop or field days, sub paid for field days. They do MPI mostly, i think it could be too specific so i'm not sure about this one. The manager said it's a narrow field that we do, Drill Collar Inspections and Tubing Inspections. What do the experienced guys think about it?

At 3pm after many hours of walking around i checked the Job Fair. Met there the members MiddleEastern and Panzertape, extremely nice guys and thanks again for the ride back to Edmonton Wink
We went in and all of us got an offer for Well Testing, located out of Ft. St. John, 21/7 rotation, 210$ for field days, 105$ for shop days, 25$ sub for camp, 50$ Meal Allowance if we stay in a hotel. Double pay on holidays. We can stay wherever we want, no need to relocate to Ft. St. John. Guaranteed time off in April and May for Spring Breakup, excellent for travelling.

Dropped many more resumes and then a few minutes before the end i landed another offer Well Testing with one of the heavy weights. At first they wanted to put me into Wireline. I refused and asked about Well Testing. After a short interview and review of my resume, safety tickets and Work Permit the Manager asked the HR guys: "Do we need to invest here in anything?" HR Guy: "No, we are good to go". It's 2600$ salary per month, 105$ field bonus per day, 2,5k bonus for every 90 days of work, 25$ or 50$ sub (i forgot) and benefits from day 1. They will support me to relocate to Red Deer aswell. What bothers me is if it's possible take 2 months straight off because i'm on salary and some people say this company is not as busy as others.

After the Job Fair we went together to Edmonton (thanks for the ride again) and i bused back to Calgary.

MWD being the first priority, i applied to many compnaies here in Calgary over the last week, got to interviews but got no job offers. Finally i landed some for Well Testing and Inspection, my 2nd and 3rd choices. I'm very satisfied now.

I paid 150$ for the bus tickets and slept 2 nights in a bus and it was worth it. I arrived 2 hours ago in Calgary and will go out now to apply for more jobs and to send a copy of my canadian drivers abstract to the last mentioned company. My translated german abstract is not enough for them because it doesn't cover my time in Canada.

When i'm back i can write down some tips and i need to thank some guys over here.
10-03-2013 10:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like buko's post:
Vacancier Permanent, scotian, Temm, Ferro, MiddleEastern, MunichSux

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - buko - 10-03-2013 10:14 AM