Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-03-2013 08:52 AM)Swearbox Wrote:  Are there any Instrument Techs about to answer a couple of questions?

I'm sharing a lunch room for the next week with a bunch of electricians and instrument techs, what exactly do you want to know? I'll ask them for you.

(10-03-2013 03:11 PM)PanzerTape Wrote:  Yes, it was damn worth it. Buko is a machine, he came all the way over from Calgary, props.
As for ME and I, we did a roundtrip, definitely the longest driving i've done, clocking in at 1017 kms total.

Fort St John is a small place with only 18k people, and GP is like a little Fort Mac near BC. Takes an eternity to go there, there's also not much competition for jobs.

also worth reading, http://www.rooshv.com/all-experience-is-equal

@VP I don't say no. send me a txt

Buko and PanzerTape, you guys are awesome, that's exactly the attitude and mindset that will get you a job and keep you busy, hitch hiking to a job fair in GP, get er done son! I don't know much about well testing or oil field services in general but if you guys can get on a 21/7 rotation and work straight through until April then go for it. You'll have enough money stashed by then to take some time off, travel and take it easy and reassess the situation then. You can decide if you want to continue in that line of work or move onto something else, such is the luxury of having $20K in the bank.

Just be prepared to work hard and in the shittiest of conditions, I mentioned it before about 20 or 30 pages back but the winter here is fucking brutal and you guys have probably already noticed that the air is getting drier than a nun's cunt. Ask your company if they supply cold weather gear and if not, get down to Mark's Work Warehouse and get some (Google Mark's WW coupons to get a discount card, sometimes 10-20% off) and tell them that you work at Suncor but "forgot" your work ID, you'll get another 10% off.

Also, its that time of year again and the critters are out, I almost smashed into a deer yesterday on my way to work, so be careful! Only a few more weeks and we can legally shoot the bastards but until then they're all over the roads.

Work safe boys.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
10-03-2013 11:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like scotian's post:
MiddleEastern, PanzerTape, MunichSux, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-03-2013 11:25 PM