Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Swearbox Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
@ Scotian - I tried twice to reply but they came out blank...dunno why...here goes a third try...

Scotian wrote "I'm sharing a lunch room for the next week with a bunch of electricians and instrument techs, what exactly do you want to know? I'll ask them for you."

Well I've narrowed down the field of things that I'd like to get into to just two, either Haul Truck driving (requires me to wait until at least May next year to take the course IF I get accepted), or I would really like to get into an apprenticeship as an Instrument guy.

Now that I finally have a clearer idea of what it is I want to do (half the battle) I now have to figure a way out to drive this forward and get a foot in the door. Given that I have no experience in oil & gas (though I have a fairly good CV - ex military (weapons engineer for 15 yrs) plus an Hons Degree in Computing and several yrs exp as an IT guy) I was wanting to ask what's the best avenue to entry into a company with the specific goal of getting put through an apprenticeship. Not blowing my own trumpet but if I get my foot in the door I can make the rest happen...I'm not a youngster though (53) but I'm reading on here and other forums that age isn't really a factor if you show that you are switched on and can handle the job.

I'd welcome any feedback you have mate and I'll add my thanks for kicking off an incredible resource for those looking to make a move to the oil patch.
10-04-2013 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Swearbox - 10-04-2013 09:04 AM