Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Temm Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-04-2013 09:04 AM)Swearbox Wrote:  I'd welcome any feedback you have mate and I'll add my thanks for kicking off an incredible resource for those looking to make a move to the oil patch.

Hey man, from what I've been told, it's a good time to get into this field, but the downside to it is that you're limited to just working in Alberta--not a bad thing for me cause I've always enjoyed my time there.

You can either take the two-year course at SAIT or NAIT (I'm sure there are other schools)--there's even a 2.5 year course here in Saskatchewan at SIAST I believe. I've spoken to a few guys that are in the field and was told to just apply as a hand. Tarpon and Techmation are two companies that are always posting on Kijiji for 2-4 year apprentices and journeymen--from what I hear, both are good companies to work for. I contacted a company called Clear Stream and told them I was interested in working as a labourer/hand in instrumentation and was told to send a resume and copies of safety tickets.

I'm an older guy too (38) and was hesitant about pursuing instrumentation because it's been awhile since I've done hardcore math and physics, but was urged by another guy in the field to go for it. He's an older guy that got into it as well and ended getting some of the highest marks in the province on his exams. Hope this helps.
10-04-2013 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Temm - 10-04-2013 01:18 PM