Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-03-2013 08:52 AM)Swearbox Wrote:  Are there any Instrument Techs about to answer a couple of questions?

I spoke to an instrument guy today about the trade and he said that the best way to get into it is to go to school, preferably in Alberta at a school such as NAIT. The downside is that the diploma in instrumentation is two years long, which I'm sure you're not too keen on doing. The other way to do it is to get hired on with a company and become a registered apprentice in Alberta, just like any other trade. He said that it pretty hard to get into instrumentation as a green hand and you almost have to know someone, which isn't the first time I've heard this, but if you were to get on, you'd work a few months then go back to NAIT or SAIT and do the two month apprentice blocks each year for four years until you become a journeyman instrument tech.

So I think that your best plan may be to move out to Alberta and knock on every instrumentation company's door until you find a helper's job and go from there. You'll likely have to do something else until you find a job as a helper though.

He worked for an outfit called Dynamysk and is super busy but they do commissioning so they may not hire green hands. The other electrical/instrument company on site is Studon, they're a big company and I see them on sites all over Alberta. Give both companies a call and see what they say, good luck.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
10-05-2013 06:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
MunichSux

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-05-2013 06:52 PM