Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Jourgensen Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-07-2013 03:33 PM)MicTyson Wrote:  Wikipedia says 400 feet tall. Also a few years back I was looking into an offshore job but the training cost is astronomical. You have to take a helicopter safety course as that's apparently how you get to work. On this forum you hear about preventable and accidental mishaps that can kill you in an instant and those are examples on solid ground. An oil platform is a whole different ballgame man, if you get hurt seriously you're done. I would google search everything you can before going any further.

I'm analizing everything like a maniac. Yes, those helicopter safety is like 1000 british pounds, but it's worth if you're in for the gig for sure.

Quote:Do you have any experience in an industrial/construction type setting? Are you able to move fast while staying alert and safe at the same time? Are you mechanically inclined? Are you physically capable of not taking a scheduled break for a 12 hour shift while working in the cold, constantly lifting up to 100 pounds/bending/crouching/getting rained on? Those are some things to think about

I'm not really concerned about anything except the height man. From what i can tell, and i've watched numerous clips and visited technical sites, some platforms aren't that higher then the usual cargoo boat let say, really not that high (like 40 feet). But some of them look just monstrous. Now it's not their actual height that concernes me. It's what are the areas of your work space. How close you are to the fence, to those damn holes? Can someone send you up to stairs (for god knows what) that are like 200 feat high? That's where i'm shitting my pants off.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 04:29 PM by Jourgensen.)
10-07-2013 04:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Jourgensen - 10-07-2013 04:26 PM