Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Swearbox Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
This thread has been an amazing resource both in terms of inspiration and also first class information about what it's like to be 'out there' in a variety of roles. I tip my hat to Scotian for kicking off this discussion and to the rest of the guys (too many to list) who have impressed me with their drive to succeed, many at a much younger age than I.

As an ex military man I've been to the Middle East twice, one of those times being deployed during Operations Desert Shield/Desert Storm but I have to confess to being more nervous about this gig than I ever was flying into a war zone. It's a mixture of things, leaving my family behind, going out there with less than $500 to my name until I get paid, but most of all going out to become part of an industry that I am totally unfamiliar with and not knowing a single soul out there except for the guy whose spare room I will be crashing in until I get settled. I'll be fine once I'm in a set of coveralls and shovelling shit with the rest of the crew...can't wait to mark the end of the first day's shift with a cold one or two...cheers to the RVF Crew :-)
10-07-2013 10:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like Swearbox's post:
Tigre, Vacancier Permanent, scotian, MunichSux, Zeus

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Swearbox - 10-07-2013 10:13 PM