Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Post Reply 
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Author Message
Swearbox Offline

Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 2013
Post: #1832
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-12-2013 02:21 PM)Salty Wrote:  Hi Swearbox, would like to know which route you took to become a PR. What age were you when you emigrated? Did you arrive via TFW program? And how long did the process take?

Reason being I'm a 44 yr old, uk citizen, plumber/gas engineer looking to make the move to Alberta, don't know which route to attempt tho! Do you need an offer of employment to come as a skilled worker? See you had military experience(served in the gulf myself, clearing the mines back in '88) but I gather you came over through your I.T qualifications.

Would value any info on which would be the quickest most successful route to achieving the move.


My circumstances were a bit different than most Salty. I met a Canadian girlie back in 2002 and between 2002 and 2005 I flitted back and forth across the pond to see her. Each time I came to Canada I stayed for varying lengths of time (up to 6 months maximum) just on a Brit passport that allows you to stay for 6 months without any special Visa arrangements.

When the time came I made arrangements to fly over on a one way ticket...I didn't tell the Canadians I was planning on staying...we bought a house here (my name wasn't on the mortgage) and then we applied for me to stay under the Common Law Partner my girlie sponsored me to stay here. I shipped all of my shit here which arrived way before the Govt had decided to approve my application.

It took two yrs from leaving the UK to getting my permie res status....part of that time was time living together to qualify under the rules that determine whether or not you are deemed to be Coomon Law partners.

If you are in country when you apply for permie status it means they cannot kick you out of the country until they have arrived at a decision. If it takes longer than 6 months for them to decide (ie your visa will run out) you MUST apply to extend your visa stating that you have applied for PR status and are waiting for a decision. If you leave the country before they decide one way or another you may not get back in (until they have decided to approve your application). The rules may have changed now but that is my tale...hope it helps a bit :-)

10-12-2013 05:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Swearbox - 10-12-2013 05:38 PM