Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Magyarphile Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-12-2013 05:38 PM)Swearbox Wrote:  My circumstances were a bit different than most Salty. I met a Canadian girlie back in 2002 and between 2002 and 2005 I flitted back and forth across the pond to see her. Each time I came to Canada I stayed for varying lengths of time (up to 6 months maximum) just on a Brit passport that allows you to stay for 6 months without any special Visa arrangements.

When the time came I made arrangements to fly over on a one way ticket...I didn't tell the Canadians I was planning on staying...we bought a house here (my name wasn't on the mortgage) and then we applied for me to stay under the Common Law Partner route...so my girlie sponsored me to stay here. I shipped all of my shit here which arrived way before the Govt had decided to approve my application.

It took two yrs from leaving the UK to getting my permie res status....part of that time was time living together to qualify under the rules that determine whether or not you are deemed to be Coomon Law partners.

If you are in country when you apply for permie status it means they cannot kick you out of the country until they have arrived at a decision. If it takes longer than 6 months for them to decide (ie your visa will run out) you MUST apply to extend your visa stating that you have applied for PR status and are waiting for a decision. If you leave the country before they decide one way or another you may not get back in (until they have decided to approve your application). The rules may have changed now but that is my tale...hope it helps a bit :-)

SB

Were you able to work during while waiting for the decision? If so, it seems like it might be a better route for euro guys than the working holiday scheme.
10-13-2013 05:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Magyarphile - 10-13-2013 05:53 AM