Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
cool Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-14-2013 03:58 PM)Temm Wrote:  
(10-14-2013 04:33 AM)cool Wrote:  Does anyone know about instrumentation techs or power engineers? Recommend one over the other?

Best thing to do is to go to google and type power engineering+forums and instrumentation+forums and read all that you can from the Alberta Outdoors Men Forum, 980 Tuners Forum, and Beyond.ca career forums. Quite a few power engineers and instrumentation techs post on those forums.

I was recently chatting with one guy that has his 4th class power engineering ticket and he regrets getting it. Says there are more jobs for instrumentation techs. SAIT, NAIT, and SIAST for that matter seem to be overwhelmed with power engineer students.

Everyone hears the kind of free time you can get from being a power engineer and are jumping on the boat. I thought about doing it for a bit, but there's no way I can go back to school full time for two years--I'd rather just get into a trade with on the job training. Unless things have changed, you can take the two year program at NAIT and come out with half of your 2nd class ticket. And from what I hear, the school in Fort Mac has a pretty good power engineering program as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks Temm

Yeah, I was doing some googling for electrician last night and that led to reading some posts about instrumentation and power engineering.

Beyond.ca is a great resource, I agree.
10-14-2013 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - cool - 10-14-2013 05:50 PM