Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
pitt Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-20-2013 04:35 AM)gringo newf Wrote:  Why consider the shatty oil sands doing labour work when you can go get a degree in ocean or mechanical engineering and work in the oil and gas industry? Sure you need to invest a few more years and will graduate around 24 years old by my god is it ever worth it.

I have a degree in ocean and naval architectural engineering and have seen the world in style as a result and have the pleasure to choose where I want to live. I'm 36 now but at 32 I got my first proper contract working in Africa. As a site rep I was working 4 weeks off and 4 weeks on. The salary was tax free and I was netting after tax around 50k USD a month with 6 months off a year (ie. 300k a year clean). The company would also pay a travel budget good enough for a business class return flight anywhere. So I lived in my off time in the north east of Brazil for about 2 years.

It gets better and better too. Was recently offered a 4 year 2k USD a day net contract to work shift in Indonesia but have turned it down due to 4 year resident expat posting in Rio de Janeiro (can you blame me) coming up soon.

Would seriously recommend a degree in ocean and naval architectural engineering. It's certainly changed my life.

300k per year is fucking good money, with that type of money i work 5 years maximum and never work again.
10-20-2013 08:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - pitt - 10-20-2013 08:34 AM