Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Temm Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Well here's an update on my Alberta job hunt adventures. Went to some instrumentation companies in Edmonton and Nisku/Leduc on Tuesday--all were saying it was slow. On Wednesday I decided to drive up to Calgary and hit the concentrated contractors in the downtown core. Some I dropped resumes but others said they would get me something when their winter projects pick up. Yesterday I took it easy and just made more copies of resumes and faxed a few out to some companies. And today I decided to drive down to Red Deer. Dropped a few resumes off at some instrumentation companies and well testing companies. I'm scheduled for a drug test and physical with a well testing company on Monday. And sounds like I might be able to get straight into an apprenticeship with two of the instrumentation companies I visited.

I don't think much has been said about Red Deer. Don't overlook this city. A crap load of oil well services company base out of Red Deer. I only visited a few companies and got a phone call with an offer in a matter of hours--I never even talked to a hiring manager, just dropped off a resume. In Red Deer you have well testing companies, frac/coil companies, service rigs, etc. If anyone has a class 1, 3, or 5 license, Baker Hughes has a big "Now Hiring" sign at their Red Deer location. So, don't overlook the small towns like Red Deer, Whitecourt, and Grande Prairie--I might drop a resume in on Baker Hughes when I go back next week lol.
10-25-2013 07:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Temm's post:
Swearbox, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Temm - 10-25-2013 07:14 PM