Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
WesternCancer Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian: on 'firing time'

"Please note: Students must have at least 6 months of firing time (practical work experience) prior to writing the interprovincial exam. Any questions about firing time or the interprovincial exam should be directed to the BC Safety Authority at 778-396-2000 or 1-866-566-7233 - http://www.safetyauthority.ca/ . You can write your Government Part A exam once you have completed our Part A without having any firing time. You will need documentation for your firing time as well as the completion letter from BCIT (4th Class Power Engineering courses) to register for your Government final exam for Part B"

A guy at work went this route. He said you had to have the company sign off on all your applicable hours, in the case of my work he started/turned off the boiler, did maintenance, fucked around with the steam stuff etc. He said it was pretty straightforward, but you also need to be aware of your liabilities and the risk you're working with when inexperienced. So to answer your question: experience on a job site/in a trade would be highly beneficial to landing a position where you can get firing time, but firing time must be approved by government agencies and vouched for by your employer.

That being said you can get your "part A" via distance ED at any time. You just need to get work experience and do your part B within 1 year of your registration.

all in all Power engineering doesn't sound as straight forward as I thought it would be. Personally I think I'm just going to move out there, get my foot in the door, network, get experience etc, then depending on how I'm liking what I'm doing I can do the distance ed route and hustle for a trainee spot in some sort of a plant. Maybe I'll hoard all my $$$ then once the busy season is over I can hunker down over next winter to study full time. however, 6 months to a year is not all that bad for the long term payoff, I just can't see myself being stuck where I am for another 6 months minimum.
10-31-2013 01:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - WesternCancer - 10-31-2013 01:23 AM