Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-06-2013 01:05 PM)TO2AB Wrote:  So after waiting a month for my account to be approved, here is my first post. I'd like to start off with a big thanks to Scotian for creating this awesome thread and all the other regular contributors for sharing their journey and keeping readers like me updated. Needless to say, all the info in the thread has helped and motivated me a lot.

Before almost catching the next flight to Edmonton and booking the hostel, I managed to get into H'burton's operator assistant role. I'm originally from Toronto and will be joining the company next week. I wonder if any of you guys have had experience with them or in a similar role which includes driving and helping the field engineer with testing and tools for the already dug up wells. The first two months are for training in Nisku and the rest of the winter will be on a 15/6 schedule. Only caveat being that instead of an hourly rate (which I’d have preferred to bank some OT), the company is paying us a fixed salary Dodgy. I can share more details if needed.

As quoted in one of the posts above this position is just to get my foot in the door and see what other opportunities present themselves. I'm coming with a mindset to join trades eventually. I would love to connect with you guys in person when I'm in E-town. Also, wondering if there are any regular meetups for the like minded people from this thread. No more Oilers vs Leafs games for this season tho Angel

Sounds like a good gig with a decent rotation but you're right, the whole salary thing isn't cool because I can almost guarantee you that you'll be working OT and if you're not hourly, you'll probably be working for free. But anyway, you got a decent job, tough it out and see what happens.

For you guys hating the well testing job, again, try to tough it out as best as you can, sounds like it sucks but honestly most of these entry level gigs do suck. Keep focused on your goals, save up as much cash as possible so you can be in a position to try something else out next spring when the busy shut down season starts up in March/April.

I'm actually kind of surprised that so many guys get into the drilling and oil field services side of things, I've basically promoted the trades on here and always said that I'd never do oil field service work because you'll always be working in some remote shit hole, unless you take an office job.

But keep up the good work guys, stay focused and don't smoke crack haha! I have three days left of work this year then I'm fucking off to South America next week, woo hoo!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
11-06-2013 08:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like scotian's post:
Brosemite, WesternCancer, Vacancier Permanent, MunichSux, Temm, Zeus

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 11-06-2013 08:39 PM