Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hey guys,

It’s been a good while since I posted so thought I’d do a quick update. I have been back drilling now for a while and at the moment it’s looking like I will be busy right through to March. I have got in with a good crew and have been getting some great training the last while. All the stories I posted last year about relaxing watching movies and browsing the internet on shift no longer apply. I have been working my ass off taking notes and learning the job. I am nearly ready to ‘break out’ and start running my own jobs. I should be at that level come January. I am even starting to learn a bit about directional drilling and can maybe see myself doing it in 1-2 years. To give some idea of wages the directional driller on this job is on about 1400-1500 a day and made around 400k last year.

The last few months before I went back drilling were kind of tough for me with some personal stuff going on and the constant stress of do/don’t I have a job for the winter? The drilling industry and in particular MWDing is notoriously inconsistent and it definitely takes a toll on you mentally: not having work versus weeks of working nights by yourself, great money versus no social life, etc. I’d like to see some of the other guys post up on how they find the mental side of working in the patch.

As for next while I will hopefully have a busy winter then I’m packing up and doing a bit of traveling for a few months. My body and mind need a bit of a break.

Good to see that so many people are out here now and are doing well for themselves.
11-15-2013 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 8 users Like Atlantic's post:
WesternCancer, DjembaDjemba, Vacancier Permanent, Temm, MunichSux, Ferro, scotian, JWAP

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 11-15-2013 09:38 PM