Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Vacancier Permanent Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Great to hear things are busy and you are making progress towards directional drilling Irishman., very happy for you man!

An update from my end after 3 weeks in the biggest if all certified world class shit holes:

To say tat it's been slow would be the understatement of the year. In the 3 weeks that I've been here, I've only worked a total of 12 hours spread over 3 half days in 3 weeks! Initially my boss had some personal family things to take care if as his wife gave birth 2 weeks ago. So I knew before getting here it would be slow at least initially but never thought it would be that bad. Ad I known, I would have remained in Edmonton and got a job with a company there.

I'm not complaining about the boss, he's been good to me, very patient and training me good, but the lack of work is really getting to me. I wasn't expecting that at all! If anything, everyone was telling me the opposite that it will be crazy busy! I am starting to get the hang of my trade, its not hard and it can be interesting but the lack of work is getting to me. Being stuck in the hose with nothing to do, waiting for a call or text from the boss as to when is he going to pick me up for work next is very stressful and depressing.

Moreover, I'm in a no mans land where there's absolutely nothing to do and it's already freezing balls here. And its not cheap, I'm almost paying 800$/month for a room in a house!!!! If things don't pick up here by the end of the month, I'll pack my stuff and return to Edmonton and look for another company in my field or even in something else like well testing.

I know there's lot of money to make here specially in the field I am but so far, I haven't had any luck so far. I'm not going to give up and be patient and I really hope things will pick up by the end of the month. I knew it wouldn't be easy at first but didn't think it would be that slow.

Anyone else in here who's had a tough and slow start in here? Or am I the only only one in here to be unlucky so far? What am I doing wrong? I did follow the exact plan I was given...

But I'm staying positive and patient! With God's will, there's a way!
11-15-2013 11:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 11-15-2013 11:54 PM