Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
NorthernPete Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-15-2013 10:31 PM)Checkmat Wrote:  Curious if the social isolation gets to you guys working up there.
In my head I have an image of a bunch of pirates working together in the cold, austere conditions of a Siberia-like wilderness town. Drinking heavily in what little free time and only prostitutes or bar girls for miles around.

Something like this:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGMBrGiF9Udu_-UPGV0SG...wdcjupRrdA]

Generally true. If you want comic relief lookup "Steve from Site" on youtube. It hits the Ft McMurray culture on alot of points. Alot of puns.

With my experience working in and around Ft McMurray, as well as further north (Nunavut) and some of the Potash mines in Saskatchewan - 'camp life' as it's called - the social isolation is a factor. It gets worse the more mundane and boring your daily work scope is. I can't imagine doing some mundane task in the high arctic during winter months with zero sunlight. As far as social isolation in camp life, it depends here. I stayed in a camp of 3500 people with a top notch gym, it had yoga, volleyball, basketball. I would expect any of the larger camps to have great facilities and almost feel like a town of their own. Some of the smaller camps have zero facilities like that so it will be a different story.

I have yet to be restricted to 2 pieces of baggage for the fly in/out setups, so I've always brought my guitar with me. I believe any little bit of leisure/fun/recreation helps the isolation factor of camp life.
11-16-2013 12:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like NorthernPete's post:
MunichSux, scotian

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - NorthernPete - 11-16-2013 12:33 AM