Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
MicTyson Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-22-2013 01:51 PM)WilliamShatnersEgo Wrote:  I'm an electrician from Alberta. I can confirm this info. My advice (that I wish I would have took from my old man but I thought I was smarter than him) is, if you're young (18-28) get a trade (electrical is great) and devote 10 years of your life to working as much as you can in the oil patch. work all the hours you can get, live in camp as much as you can, save and invest all your money, don't worry about owning a vehicle (rent when you need one) and watch your portfolio. You can retire by 35 if you do it properly with almost $2 million if you do it right.

For the record, electricians make $47/hr industrial rate. If you work 10 hr shifts (pretty standard) on a 14 on/7 off shift, (anything over 8 hours is time and a half, Friday is time and a half, weekends are double time)...well...you do the math.

Is it difficult to land an apprenticeship in Alberta? Electrician has actually been my goal for a bit but noone in Ontario will take me on
11-23-2013 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - MicTyson - 11-23-2013 10:32 AM