Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
DjembaDjemba Offline
Pelican

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-24-2013 06:00 AM)WesternCancer Wrote:  
(11-22-2013 10:22 PM)salmonfella Wrote:  Wrap up well mate wear layers. I have been working outside this week in -26 it's not nice at first but I have gotten use to it. Today was warm though -10:-)

Damn I've never been good at wrapping up, ha.

I put this whole thing off for the last bit as I couldn't really do much but day-dream during that time.

The past few days I've been making a solid plan/checklist for what I can do from now until I leave.

if all goes well I'll let my employer know this week I'm leaving just before christmas. I'll sell what I can around christmas, get anything I need come boxing day and ship out mid January.

The only thing that's worrying me is transportation. I can't drive from where I am (relatively little experience with winter driving, I'd probably die going thru the rockies).

Right now I'm thinking a rental car for the first week or two and then buying a beater car once I get some kind of income. Money won't be an issue, but I want to spend as little as possible.

edit: gat dayum. Its like $600 to rent a car for 2weeks. I might as well just rent a van, sleep in the back and hope I dont freeze my nuts off.

Is there car2go in Edmonton? or any kind of similar rental car service?

Edmonton is pretty archaic when it comes to car rental services like ZipCar or Car2Go.

Do you have winter tires? I'd say just drive on the main highway from Vancouver man, and take it easy. If you come here with a car you're better off than scrambling to find one while simultaneously looking for a place to live.
11-24-2013 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 11-24-2013 11:56 AM