Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
^^^ Buko that shouldn't be a problem as you've already passed the toughest hurdle which is getting into Canada and finding work, the rest should be pretty easy.

Guys, for those of you who are working in northern Alberta, whats the word on the street as far as how busy it's gonna be up there in the foreseeable future? From what I can gather, 2013 wasn't a crazy year by any means, it was busy enough but employers weren't scrambling as they have been in previous years, and I hear that next year will be much of the same. I'm tempted to return to Sask next spring to go back to the same job I just got laid off from, shut downs in electrical boilers, I'm also planning on upgrading my skill set. From what I've heard, 2016 is going to be a HUGE year and I've heard this from a few different people who've been in the patch for years, but as we all know, things change fast in the oil patch, so I'll believe it when I see it.

A couple of things stand out though, in paticular the construction of a new upgrader in Redwater, AB (about 45 minutes from Edmonton): http://www.northwestupgrading.com/ . This project was mothballed a few years ago when the economy went sideways but apparently, its on the go now, a guy I worked with a few months ago lives and works in Redwater and he told me that they're moving dirt there now, a good sign.

Basically if that pops off, there will be a need for a few thousand tradesmen on that site and a lot of the local Etown guys who are currently working up north will opt to work this job in Etown and be home every night, can you blame them? What this will do is create an even greater labour shortage up north and you'll see companies paying more money, and giving better incentives to attract or keep their guys up there.

As has been mentioned on here, a lot of guys in Fort Mac have been working 10s lately, myself included from time to time and thats BS, I don't want to go out of town for 60-70 hours per week when I can work 50 and be home every night in Edmonton, this project will change that.

Another game changer is the recent announcement that another previously mothballed project in Fort McMurray got the green light to go ahead:http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/10/31/suncor_to_proceed_with_135_billion_fort_hills_oilsands_mine.html , this is a $13.5 billion project that was cancelled 5 years ago. The previous owner, Petro-Canada was bought out by Suncor and they're finally going ahead with it, who knows when but the sooner, the better, so again, more work up north. With both f these projects, I've believe it when I see it, they've been saying that both of them are about to pop off for years, but companies have already invested millions in both so it makes sense that they would, some day, go ahead.

So, overall things are looking good for the next few years. I'm on vacation and am seriously thinking about what my next move will be, last season I didn't work in Alberta, I didn't even work in the oil sands, but I gained solid work experience and learned some new things, but that Fort Mac money is calling me back, we'll see what happens next spring.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
11-29-2013 02:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like scotian's post:
MunichSux, buko, John Mack

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 11-29-2013 02:11 AM