Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-02-2013 03:58 PM)roberto Wrote:  Hey guys

What would you say the best way in for someone like me would be? Specs:

Experience: Machinery driving, logging, farm work. Fairly good workshop skills.
Qualifications: None whatsoever :-(

Currently self employed running my own gardening gang for local real estate agents and private clients, plus mini digger, tractor and dumper work. I'm very practical and can always find a way to get the job done.

Is just heading out on a 12 month visa and knocking doors a reasonable plan? Or am I too underqualified for even that?

Thanks for an awesome read.

If you can speak English and have a pulse then you can find a decent job in Alberta, there's a lot of different options and they aren't limited to working on an oil rig or at a refinery, although those are great options. Focus on getting the paper work lined up (visas, etc) and saving up enough cash to last you until you get on your feet, I'd say $3000 minimum, but $5000 would be better.

Considering your experience in landscaping, you may want to start out doing that for a few months until you get used to life in Alberta and move on. You should be able to start out at $18-22/hour, not huge money but enough to keep you going.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
12-02-2013 04:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
Nascimento, roberto

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 12-02-2013 04:24 PM