Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Jack Of All Trades Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hey guys, so I've been in Edmonton since march, just like to give a update.

Since I've been here I have only worked less than half the time I'm employed, I'm a green hand so I can't go on a lot of jobs especially the big $ ones that need guys with experience. However I've been learning a lot, so I can't really complain so far and I took some training as well.

As for the about the overhype, I'd say it depends. Companies are still begging for experienced people, anyone with tickets or 2nd year apprenticeships have a high chance of being hired; if not they'll probably be called come january. Please don't try to find work in december, all the office staff are getting ready for the holidays and WILL take off extra early, like 2-4pm. Even while guys still might be working through most of december out in the field. Also don't come with the idea that your first couple of applications will go through, KEEP MOVING! it took me about 20 applications and running around all of edmonton, nisku, sherwood park, etc. before I found a job in april which is supposed to be extremely busy. Be proactive, I've gotten lazy the last few months, I've been out of work since the end of october, but I had training to do. Going to class 9-5 for a bit turned me into a slacker when your used to 12+hr days and having enough $ saved up to last me till spring.

I probably wrote this already, before you come here, pick a trade you want and stick to it; don't wander and focus. Learn everything you can about it, call/email people even though your still at home and ask about the industry, basically pipeline stuff before you land. Make a list of EVERY company that does that trade in Edmonton/Calgary/Red Deer, do Walk ins and call for EVERY company, don't skip any. Nobody gives a shit about online applications, CALL or face to face, only way to get real things done here. Most people start giving up quickly, keep going. If you stop before you've exhausted the list, you should just go home. If you finished the list in your city, go to the next one and repeat. If you did that for every city in alberta then you deserve to go home and mope, but I doubt that will happen. Also try to talk to EVERYONE you meet, one guy was offering jobs to people in a bathroom in a bar after he overheard me and a friend talking about work. It wasn't easy or glamorous but it was good paying hard work: 25$/hr 14hrs everyday construction labour on pipelines.

The street aren't paved with gold, but there's a lot of opportunity here, you just gotta be careful and learn some hard lessons.
12-05-2013 12:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Jack Of All Trades's post:
scotian, DjembaDjemba, John Mack, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Jack Of All Trades - 12-05-2013 12:43 AM