Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Don Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hi guys, I'm a 20 year old white male from Bucharest, Romania. I'm currently broke and in dire need of a job. My dad got laid off his cvasi-high paying job(he didn't actually get laid off, the company filed for bankrupcy) almost 6 months ago, and he's too old and out of the game to land any job that pays anything even remotely close to that. We're currently living by Romanian standards in poverty(150$/family member) and it seems like there's no light at the end of the tunnel. The economic situation in Romania is in shambles, it's very hard to land a job without a college degree, most jobs that i can apply to have frequently 800+ other appliants and pay about 2$/hour. I'm going to list what i believe is some relevant information about myself from a hiring perspective, with the hopes that it will help any of you that are willing to give me some advice.

Education: I finished highschool and got my Baccalaureate degree, but with a pretty low grade.
Languages: I speak english fluently, most people assume that i lived in an english speaking country. I have no certifications to attest to this claim, but i could get a IELTS or Cambridge with a high grade - problem is the certification costs money. Unfortunately i can't speak any other languages.
Experience: I have a very limited work experience, i worked in retail for a short while, and did some other small jobs.
Other pros: I'm very fit, did sports and worked out religiously for over 2 years, i have a healthy strong body and i'm willing to put it to work. I'm also a very fast learner.

I have no blue-collar experience or skills currently. I am willing to travel thousands of kilometers away and live in a camp in Canada and mop the floors if it means being able to support my family. Could I ever land a job in the Oil Sands?

Any advice or perspective in general on what i can do in my situation would be greatly appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 09:35 AM by Don.)
12-08-2013 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Don - 12-08-2013 09:04 AM