Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Ferro Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
I just want to quickly update my trials and the importance of the hiring seasons. After I returned from Eastern Europe and Montreal in early October, I found myself in an awkward position. I assumed I would get my next job easily and even toyed with the idea of going on another vacation if the start date a few weeks or more in the future. That was not the case. It turned out that I had just missed the September hiring season in a big way. At first I just applied to a handful of companies that did Ft. Mac work in the trade I was indentured in, including my old company. A couple weeks later (with constant calling of the HR reps leading nowhere), I started ramping it up, going all the way to applying to almost 30 companies that hired my trade in Ft. Mac. I applied in person to multiple locations, spanning Calgary, Edmonton, and Ft. Mac. With some companies I applied to the different headquarters in different cities and was actually recognized by some people from a prior location. Note: as I got further along, I would even ask for labour positions to get my foot in the door, but to no avail.

Around Halloween I was getting desperate and was even considering switching trades. In one of my last calls to this one HR rep I just flat out asked if I had just missed the boat by a couple weeks and he said yes, I probably would have had something if I had applied in September. I then asked scotian for advice and he gave me some good options, though cautioned and confirmed that there wasn't much hiring going on at the time. I decided to pursue those alternative trade options and then close to the end of November, almost 2 months after starting my search, I finally landed a job in a different trade. I was actually planning on driving to Nisku to apply for leasehand rig jobs the following day.

I just wanted to put this out there that timing is a big part of coming out here. I still don’t have the best picture of when the hiring seasons are or when it is best to apply (I think scotian might have said February and September were the big months). It would be cool if scotian could clarify that a bit. Though even when I first got out here my first job didn't start until 5 weeks later. Make sure you guys are prepared with cash to wait a bit. Irishman put out good pointers about finding temp jobs via Kijiji until he got what he wanted. There is gravy out here, just be sure to get some when it's ready.

Edit: scotian spelled it out a few pages ago.

(12-03-2013 11:35 AM)scotian Wrote:  This is why I've said from the beginning of this thread, if you want to work in the oil sands, move to Alberta in March/April or August/September because if you move out after October or before March, you may find yourself sitting on your ass or working a job that you don't want to be doing.

Also Zeus is one hell of a forum member and deserves major props for helping me out with ledes and etc.

VVVVVVVV Of course, although I know even with zero experience I would have at least gotten something shortly if I had applied in September.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013 01:01 AM by Ferro.)
12-22-2013 12:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Ferro's post:
scotian, Vacancier Permanent, Atlantic

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Ferro - 12-22-2013 12:17 AM