Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-04-2014 02:28 PM)hervens Wrote:  Hey guys
I'd also like to give Scotian a quick thanks for putting up this thread, and raising awareness about the oil boom that's going on in Alberta right now.

I have a question though, regarding my career path.
I'm currently studying electrical engineering here in montreal, however after reading this thread, I really feel like working in the oil industry right now, and taking advantage of the high salaries and travel opportunities that comes with it.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to switch from electrical, to mining engineering, since it's a bit more in demand than electrical over there? by doing this switch, I will be graduating in 3 years, instead of 2, so I'm still debating whether or not it's worth it.
I'm currently 22

Don't be a fool, stay in school! Dude you're 22 and the oil sands aren't going anywhere any time soon, finish your degree. I would recommend staying in Quebec as you pay the lowest uni tuition in all of Canada and you can probably live at home, cost of living is also lower in Montreal than Edmonton and I don't think I have t explain how much better of a city Montreal is than Edmonton. As for whether or not you should switch from electrical to mining, I would read up and study as much about it as possible, I don't know much about engineering but there's definitely work for electrical engineers in the oil sands. Mining probably pays more but the shitty thing about mining is that all of these mines are in absolute shit holes, it may sound fun to go work in Madagascar or Cuba at nickel mine, but you won't be on a nice beach, you'll be in an industrial shit hole, just like in Canada.

I know that it sounds tempting to drop out and head west but you already have two years of school under your belt, two more years isn't really much. If you don't want to continue with the engineering, you can still take a trade but I can almost guarantee that after working in the oil patch for a few years, by the time you're my age, you'll be glad that you have the engineering degree to fall back on.

If I could go back in time I would definitely take an engineering degree, I"m 31 now and don't want to be a student for four years, so it isn't really an option for me. I can still upgrade my skills and get into management eventually, which is what I"m doing but until then I"m going to be doing the dirty grunt work. Although I do enjoy my lifestyle of working a few months a year and traveling, its getting tiring and I don't really have the option of working a "normal" 9-5 job in a decent city, which you will, if you get your degree.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
01-05-2014 01:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Zeus, Thehustler

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-05-2014 01:41 PM