Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Alberta Welder Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hey all. Special thanks to scotian for starting this thread and telling the world whats been going on around here. I've been following this thread since my roommate told me about it last month and am finally allowed to post. A bit about me: Born and raised in Edmonton. Graduated in '03 wanting to be a computer programmer and instead started an Apprenticeship and got my Journeyman Welder ticket in '08. I've been doing mostly Stainless Steel and Aluminum MIG and TIG and most of my SMAW experience has come from school. Started my HET Apprenticeship a couple years ago and am currently a 2nd year. With HET there are 4 Journeyman tickets that I could have after I'm finished the 4 year Apprenticeship. These include in order: Journeyman Trailer Mechanic, Journeyman On-Road Mechanic (after 3rd year), and after the 4th year I could have Journeyman Off-road Mechanic and Heavy Equipment Technician. I've been at my current job for 4 years now and although the pay is good enough ($37/hr + overtime + contractual piece work) due to the lack of professional appreciation and career advancement where I'm at, I have decided to quit the HET Apprenticship and get my B-Pressure ticket with the help of a course through NAIT. I start on the 11th of this month and will be doing my B-Pressure test on March 6th. Some people may ask "Why didn't you do that right after you got JM Welder ticket?". Fact is I didn't feel the need to get it. I am still young (28) and felt it important to keep a good social life and long term relationships while I'm young rather than work all the time. I'm not single but I do have a mortgage to pay for now so it's time to buckle down and make even more money. My plan is to get off the reefer (have since New Years after smoking for 13 years), join the Local 488 (Pipefitters Union) and work up in the Mac for at least 5 years. A little nervous about the big change but I feel it is necessary to advance in my career. I have 2 brothers in 2 different Unions that have been telling me to get it together for years now. Well time to take the good advice. If there are any 488 members out there please let me know what I gotta do to get in. Every day I check the call list and see average of 4-5 jobs available and from what I understand things are gonna be picking up even more in the next little while. Must say this thread has been quite informative, and I've been learning a lot through everyone's experience. Thanks everyone and keep the posts coming.
01-05-2014 02:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Alberta Welder's post:
scotian, Atlantic

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Alberta Welder - 01-05-2014 02:35 PM