Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
TravellingSoldier Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-05-2014 07:26 PM)energyy Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 11:01 PM)TravellingSoldier Wrote:  Oh, and by the way, even if you did get an apprenticeship the wages are shit there lol... A friend of mine is a 2nd year electrician in Hamilton and makes 15 an hour lmao. Plus, there's no where near as many hours there and the tickets aren't internationally recognized like the Red Seal JM tickets

Exactly...the wages are way better in Alberta. More opportunity and more money. I'll give up living in Ontario for that anyday. Once this winter is done is when I will take my trip. I should have enough funds by then. I will get a few tickets before I leave. But im sure it will take me a few days to get situated and such so I may get a rental for a week for transportation. That may be pricey at my age, I have to look it up. When you first arrived there, how did you get around?

Taking the bus! Unless you need to get to Nisku you really don't need a car. The ETS is really good and usually pretty fast so I have had no problem getting from my place (I'm staying on whyte ave) to downtown, even Fort Sask is on the bus route. Handing out resumes is easiest online now but if you hear of a few sure things and want to go in and hand them out physically, renting a car may be a good option. It all depends on your patience, if you've never owned a car it won't be necessary. Especially being from Toronto I'm sure you're used to public transportation. Get here and feel it out before you make any decisions. As for funds, just make sure you have atleast $4K and some warm clothes before you come out. If you find a temp job, you will be golden with even $3k.

01-05-2014 08:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like TravellingSoldier's post:
energyy, a.canuck

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - TravellingSoldier - 01-05-2014 08:22 PM