Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-08-2014 09:13 PM)Irishman Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 08:54 PM)206Fan Wrote:  Hey Scotian,

I'm planning on flying over to Edmonton at the start of March. I will get the H2S tickets sorted straight away. I presume this is a good time to go knocking on all the drilling companies doors looking for a lease-hand job?

Cheers!

March is literally the worst time of year possible. Its the beginning of the seasonal slow down period or 'break up'. Most guys cant even keep working not to mind getting hired. Read the full thread man.

Hopefully this doesn't confuse any potential RVF oil sands crew members (who don't read the entire thread haha), it is correct as it applies to the drilling side of things, the end of winter is when drilling (and to a lesser extent, pipelines) grinds to a halt. The refinery/petro-chemical side of things (which I work in, the trades side) picks up big time in March/April.

So basically if you want to be a rig pig, move to Alberta in October/November, if you want to be a greasy tradesman, move to Alberta in March/April or even August/September.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
01-09-2014 12:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent, DjembaDjemba

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-09-2014 12:00 AM