Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-09-2014 08:22 AM)Buzzyfurbox Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 05:25 PM)scotian Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 04:51 PM)komatiite Wrote:  @buzzyfurbox why don't you want to do work related to your computer degree? Lots of IT opportunities in Calgary. Send your resume into a technical recruiter like teksystems or something, or look at oil industry computer modelling companies like IHS, fekete, geoLOGIC etc... or the legions of other oil companies that use computers that need support. It seems like a waste to do scaffolding labour if you do indeed have a degree in computer science, no offense.

Good call, there's lots of opportunity to use your degree, even if you start with a random contracting company shoveling snow or scaffolding, the big one all have IT departments so when it hits -40 like it has been lately, you'll have a nice warm office job. The only down side is that you won't have lots of vacation time like us tradesmen if you're doing M-F 40/hours week type of work.

I understand what your saying it just seems like there are a lot of opportunities to make more money in less time on the rigs, I've done a lot of construction work before going to college so I know what it's like,is it possible for a person on a visa to do a haul operator course?

I'm not sure about the trucking courses but you could call a random, Alberta trucking school such as this one and see what they have to say, they may be more lenient as a more traditional college such as Keyano College, who you may also want to contact, they offer all kinds of courses. You're right though, since you won't have PR status, you won't be able to register in a trade so if its quick, big money that you're after then going to work on the rigs may be your best best. Be prepared to work your ass off though.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
01-09-2014 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-09-2014 09:23 AM