Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
TravellingSoldier Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-17-2014 11:48 PM)Captain Gh Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 11:45 PM)TravellingSoldier Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 05:13 PM)DarianFrey Wrote:  I'm thinking about taking a year off from studying in order to work and save some cash, and I got hooked on the idea of going to the oil sands after reading this thread.

I'm a 22 year old Swede, studying physiotherapy at university and have never had a truly backbreaking job; I've worked at a McDonald's and in a big kitchen (high stress though). I'm more brainy than practical, but I learn fairly quickly and gym 4 times a week to keep in shape. The desire to try my hand at a tough grind has always been there, mostly to prove to myself that I can do it.

I'm wondering what sort of jobs are available for a guy like me? No trade school, no "oil-sands" work type of experience... Just a desire to work hard and earn some cash.

Lol at "trade school." You don't need any formal education to get an apprenticeship man. As for jobs if you read the whole thread you would have a decent idea.

Second cook or kitchen helpers make decent money if you don't mind the work. You could be a camp attendant and make 1500 a week with accommodation!

http://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Blue-Sky-Recrui...cy%29/jobs

These are great options if you're looking to make some money ASAP. If you want a future or a skilled occupation... striving for an apprenticeship or getting a labour job and working your way up are the best ways to go.

If you're looking for work in a trade, you should network and find someone who will allow you to name drop with their company. That is without a doubt the easiest way to get your foot in the door. Once you are indentured, just make sure you don't fuck up or fail a drug test and you're golden my swedish meatball! Wink

Gamerecognized

Big thanks for the link man. I'm trying to get in as an apprentice Welder over there and will use those position as a set up to get some money coming in and set up shop

No problem man indeed is a good place to look, but I'm staying at a Black Diamond camp right now and had a conversation with the manager here earlier. If you'd like I could ask about the best way to get hired in one of their locations, it will probably be through a recruiting service though. In that case, I'll see if I can find out the prominent companies to contact Smile hopefully we can see you out here making some big coin!

I'm going to try to get a 21 or 24 day rotation... Should net me about $6K a month, crazy as a first year. I'm sure the wages are comparable in welding too, so look forward to that man and just keep striving.

01-18-2014 11:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like TravellingSoldier's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Temm, a.canuck

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - TravellingSoldier - 01-18-2014 11:24 PM