Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Albertron Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Nascimento,

My suggestion is to take the trip to Latin America. Two main reasons:

1) When you get here and you're able to get work, chances are you'll be on the grind. I'm not sure what you think you wanna get into, but I'm guessing it's some sort of trade, which could mean long hours and physical work. After you take your little vacation, you'll come to the oil sands refreshed and ready to replenish that bank account.

2) For most trades (emphasis on most, i.e. not all), hiring season begins in the fall to get ready for the heavy working winter season. You mentioned that if you go on your trip, you'll be back by fall, which is ideal.

In my opinion, taking this trip will help you determine as to whether or not this is for you. You'll be outside of your comfortable element and thus be able to assess yourself relative to this potentially life-changing decision, without all of life's stressors breathing down your throat. It helps to make decisions on a clear and focused mind, as this site preaches.

That being said, should you have other options, i.e. a lucrative job right after uni, or a skill you excel at and could potentially make money from it, I say exercise those options first. I say this because the oil sands will always be here. Whether you choose to move tomorrow, or in a couple of years, this industry will always have work. Consider this industry as a last resort should you not have other opportunities readily available to you.

Because let's be honest here: who the fuck wants to work out in the cold, for long hours and for consecutive days at time, thus minimizing time to see friends/family?

That's why I say, consider this industry as a last resort. If you have skill sets which you can exercise elsewhere, exhaust those options first. Because when you're out here, getting your hands dirty and all tired and shit, and you did have another opportunity elsewhere, it'll make your time here much worse, thus more likely for you to drop out.

I came here because I exhausted my other options. Worked with my dad and his HVAC company, hated it. Worked at the bank for two years, ugh miserable. Worked at a car shop, holy fuck kill me. I was even a street performer at one point, as a breakdancer, on the streets of TDOT!!! That was awesome, but not lucrative. Too many jobs to list but I worked plenty of types of jobs.

I didn't know what else to do. I was literally at a dead end. Pretty shitty feeling if you ask me. Moving here, working here and living here has been pretty life changing for me. I'm good at my trade, I enjoy what I do, and surprisingly, there are some hot women here. Good infrastructure here in Edmonton and more importanty, no real stress.

Anyway, after that lengthy post, all I'm trying to say is that you should go on your vacation, because moving here and working here is not a vacation. Enjoy what you can, get it out of your system, so that if and when you get here, you'll come in with a refreshed and determined mentality.
01-23-2014 08:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 8 users Like Albertron's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Nascimento, Atlantic, TravellingSoldier, Temm, theking, scotian, Dejan

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Albertron - 01-23-2014 08:44 PM