Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
theking Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Good post above by albertron. As an apprentice in one of the unions here, the biggest challenge I find is just the isolated nature of the work. Personally I don't find it back breaking, although at times it can be fast paced (perhaps more so non-union). What I find hard is just living in camp for months on end without being able to see friends/family/girls. If you're working a shutdown up in fort mac (last one I was on was 10 weeks) on a "bad" schedule such as 12 on 2 off it really is not worth it to spend 12 hours plus to go back to edmonton for half a day. I ended up staying camp for almost 10 weeks straight -- recipe for extreme boredom etc.

When I first made the move I though I'd be able to put in 10/11 months a year but at the moment I think scotian's got it right: work six/seven months and just take the rest off. U can still make decent money doing so and in the process retain your sanity. No regrets tho, working up here has the potential to change one's life for better and greatly enhance it. Atm just chilling in etown -- figure someones gotta keep the women satisfied Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014 09:31 PM by theking.)
01-23-2014 09:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like theking's post:
Temm, scotian

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - theking - 01-23-2014 09:30 PM